Monday, May 25, 2015

RV Remodel Part Three: The Valance Angel

Thank you, Valance Angel!
The missing part of the RV? The window valances! In Remodel Part One, I mentioned a certain curtain angel who swooped in and offered her services when our topless windows needed her coverage the most. Before I get to the specifics, I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge all the bad-arse textile manipulators out there--the ones who can crochet, knit, sew, and basically turn a Whole Foods hemp sack into an evening gown. You know who you are... And, let's just get real, shall we? I know that no matter how hard I try to hand-baste my own irregular hemline, I am never going to be one of you. So when something in my life requires this kind of needlework, I must look elsewhere...


So, my first stop was Etsy. I found plenty of textile manipulators who could create the custom valances I needed. There were a lot of variables, however, and I didn't really know where to start. So I decided to look for a nice friend who could sew sucker! A sucker who had recently posted pictures of her own curtains on Facebook... Because, really... once you do that, well, there's no hiding your textile skills. Just because she didn't have anything else to do, my dear old friend/ex-band-nerd accomplice, Colleen Sullivan, offered to shop for fabric and sew all of our valances!

Even when they arrived in the shipping box, they looked AMAZING!
The arrival of the valances!!!
But before we admire the bright, fun, happy fabric, let's just take a moment and feel down in the dumps, gray, and oh yeah, serious...before we admire them, let's take look back at the old valance style...

The old valances. I feel sad. And serious.
When the darkness was lifted, there was something just a little risque about the alternative:
Unfinished tops just had to be hidden somehow
 And now, the new Colleen Sullivan branded valances lit up the room!
Oh man, that valance is perfect!
The bedroom slide-out had cute turquoise valances
And then when I put them up in our only slightly slid-out-slide-outs, I could see how amazing the space would look when I could open everything fully:
More color!
So, basically, I'm super-duper-duper-duper excited, and thankful! Colleen sewed these valances right out of the park. So salud, cheers, and hurrah, to all of you textile manipulators out there. We love you for your skills! 

By the way, I believe Colleen has tons of time on her hands to work on more custom orders for all of you.....

No comments:

Post a Comment